I usually believe that the blend of smart work and hard work leads to success in life, and it also applies to writing with the advantage of the best writing tools.
To be a good writer, you need to put in hard work and practice. Simultaneously, to be smart enough.
You should also use the best writing tools to save your time and effort in writing as part of your writing process.
Therefore, to help you, I have researched the internet about writing tools and finally filtered out the best writing tools for writers to use.
I am sure these tools will be a perfect partner for you to produce an excellent copy for your readers. Some of these writing tools are free, and some need paid subscriptions.
However, before getting started, I like to share an important message. When you finish reading this blog, you will not only grasp the idea of the best writing tools to use.
But you will also learn about many secret writing tools of today’s successful writers, which turns you to become one of them.
So, without further delay, let me break down the best writing tools for writers on the market right now, in full detail and specifications of each tool.
Affiliate Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links, and I receive a commission if you purchase through one of the links, at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
- Best Writing Tools for Writers
- 1. Scrivener
- 2. Grammarly
- 3. ProWritingAid
- 4. Google Docs
- 5. Microsoft Word
- 6. Evernote
- 7. LibreOffice
- 8. Milanote
- 9. Hemingway Editor
- 10. Ulysses
- Email Marketing Tool For Writers
- 11. ConvertKit
- Graphic Design Tool For Writers
- 12. Canva
- Productivity Tool For Writers
- 13. Freedom
- Invoicing Tool for Writers
- 14. Freshbooks
- Collaboration Tool For Writers
- 15. Trello
- Final Thoughts
Best Writing Tools for Writers
Below is a list of the best writing tools that any writer can use to write better at work and make their writing process more accessible, productive, and satisfying.
Price: $49 for macOS and $45 for Windows.
Available On: macOS, Windows, and iOS.
Ideal For: Writers of all kinds who need everything from the start of writing to keep writing.
Scrivener is one of the most popular writing tools for writers of all kinds like novelists, screenwriters, non-fiction writers, students, academics, journalists, translators, and the list goes on.
It not just tells you how to write but also provides everything you need for delivering an excellent copy for your readers.
Using this writing tool, you can also set word count goals and then track your progress daily to achieve them before the deadline.
This tool autosaves during your work and has different formatting features to publish on self-publishing platforms.
- Spell Check.
- Text Editing.
- Status Tracking.
- Grammar Check.
- Reporting & Statistics.
- It provides a distraction-free writing space.
- Easily collaborate with your team members in real-time.
- You can easily import all sorts of files into your Scrivener projects.
- It has various templates for novels, nonfiction books, screenplays, and more.
- With the drag and drop interface, you can seamlessly arrange the sections and chapters.
- It is not easy to sync with Dropbox.
- This writing tool is not available on the android mobile app.
Price: Free and $139.95 per annum for a premium subscription.
Available On: Microsoft Word, Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Chrome Extension.
Ideal For: Writers who focus more on clarity, conciseness, and tone.
Grammarly is one of the unavoidable writing tools for writers. It is available both in a free and premium version.
Compared with the free version, the premium version of this writing tool gives you more advanced features to write better.
Stephen King wrote in his autobiography, On Writing, “To write is human, to edit is divine.” which is precisely what the Grammarly writing tool does.
While you write or finish writing, the tool helps you identify more spelling, punctuation, and grammar issues in your document.
You’ll also receive suggestions to improve your writing style to produce satisfying and error-free content for your readers.
- Word choice.
- Style detector.
- Grammar Check.
- Tone adjustments.
- Plagiarism detection.
- Clarity improvements.
- Vocabulary Enhancement.
- Detect repetitive words.
- Correct spelling mistakes.
- Suggests alternative words.
- Checks for sentences with passive voice.
- It helps in rephrasing sentences for clarity.
- The free version is limited.
- This tool will not support Google sheets.
- It needs improvement with the chrome extension.
Price: Free version, $20.00 per month, $79.00 per annum, and $399.00 lifetime.
Available On: Mac, Windows, and Chrome Extension.
Ideal For: Any Writer who wants to improve their writing and get their ideas across more clearly.
ProWritingAid is one of the top writing tools to improve your writing quickly and intuitively.
Moreover, this writing tool is the same as Grammarly, which gives you feedback on your grammar, sentence structure, word choice, and more.
One thing that makes this writing tool stand out from Grammarly is that it gives more in-depth writing reports that strengthen your writing quality.
You can check your writing on almost every website, including Facebook, Twitter, Medium, Gmail, Wattpad, and more.
- Spelling checker.
- Style suggestions.
- Grammar checker.
- Plagiarism checker.
- Clarity enhancements.
- Readability improvements.
- 20 in-depth writing reports.
- This tool is very user-friendly.
- Highlights your grammatical and spelling errors.
- It gives you multiple reports to improve your writing.
- This tool has browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari.
- Integrates easily with MS Word, Google Docs, Scrivener, Open Office, and Final Draft.
- ProWritingAid’s free version is limited
- Sometimes the editing lags with large books or documents.
4. Google Docs
Available On: Android, Windows, and iOS.
Ideal For: Writers who need everything in one place like writing, editing, and collaborating.
Google Docs is one of the most influential and free writing tools for writers.
Here you can share your written document, collaborate with team members, communicate via comments in real-time, and autosave while you work.
You can also easily format text and paragraphs from hundreds of fonts and insert links, images, and drawings, and more free of cost.
- Voice typing.
- Clear formatting.
- Keyboard shortcuts.
- Wide variety of templates.
- Multiple fonts are available.
- Can view your document’s revision history.
- You can work even when there’s no internet connection.
- Can create and edit your documents anytime and anywhere.
- Share and collaborate with your team members in real-time.
- Can download your written document in any format such as Word, OpenOffice, RTF, PDF, HTML, or zip file.
- Mobile application is not user-friendly.
- Sometimes it will not be available offline.
5. Microsoft Word
Price: $69.99 or $149.99 per annum for one computer.
Available On: Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
Ideal For: Anyone who wants to write, read and edit docs on the go.
Microsoft Word is the traditional and evergreen writing tool for Writers, Bloggers, Journalists, Columnists, and the list goes on.
Before the launch of other writing tools available today in the market, Microsoft Word was the primary writing tool for people in the earlier days.
It is the same as Google docs. It allows you to create, read, edit, and share your files quickly and easily with your team wherever you are.
- Can edit Pdf files.
- Simplified sharing.
- Add citations easily.
- Find and replace words.
- A wide variety of templates are available.
- You can easily edit with rich format and layout.
- Can collaborate and share files with anyone in a few taps.
- You can create documents using beautifully designed templates.
- File & doc permission management allows you to see who is working on your document.
- Easy to insert anything you need for your documents like pictures, intelligent arts, charts, shapes, icons, and more.
- Too many options may complicate the user to do simple tasks.
- Once you share your document, only one person can make corrections in a given time.
Price: Basic version is free, and the premium costs $3 per month.
Available On: Windows, iOS, and Android.
Ideal For: Anyone, be it a student, entrepreneur, or creative people who need little more organization in their lives.
Evernote is the best writing tool for writers to use at any time. Be it while going to sleep, walking, chatting with friends, eating breakfast, and so on.
Because most of the time, you find yourself brainstorming ideas while you’re not in front of your laptop.
Then, you type it up on your mobile phone and wish to move those ideas to your laptop without any hassle quickly, and that’s where Evernote comes in.
It allows you to write down your thoughts, record audio notes, save online articles, and easily sync your devices.
In this way, you can get what you need wherever you are.
- App integrations.
- Sync notes easily.
- PDF & Doc search.
- Search handwriting.
- Document scanning.
- Keep things organized.
- Works even if you’re offline.
- Easy to share content across apps.
- It is easy to add text, images, audio, PDFs, and documents to your notes.
- Easy to search and get your content like blog posts, articles, research, and lists.
- You cannot crop or rotate images.
- No password, so it’s less secure to protect your notes.
Available On: Windows, Linux, and macOS.
Ideal For: Writers who are looking for an alternative to Microsoft Word.
LibreOffice is a free and open-source writing tool known for great performance, usability, and compatibility.
They are one of the fastest-growing tools with a large user community that finds this tool very user-friendly.
Its helpful features and clean interface help you unleash your creativity and enhance your productivity.
This tool is compatible with all regular file types such as .doc, .docx, .xls, etc., and it is pretty easy to edit Pdfs.
- Find & replace.
- It boosts productivity.
- Easy to use and user-friendly.
- Compatible with other programs.
- You do not need an internet connection to work.
- Not easy to use for beginners.
- It does not support Excel macros.
Price: Free, and premium is $12.50 per month or $119.88 per annum.
Available On: macOS and Windows.
Ideal For: Anyone who likes to digitally organize ideas in a way that makes sense for their projects.
Milanote is an easy-to-use writing tool, and it helps you organize your ideas and add your thoughts to the digital board.
You can also save text, images & links from any website to your doc with a single click.
Moreover, using this writing tool, you can share, edit, and collaborate with your team members in real-time, which helps you improve your content quality.
- Status tracking.
- Task management.
- Easy drag and drop.
- Collaboration tools.
- Project management.
- Content management.
- Workflow management.
- Web clipper allows you to save text, images & links from any website.
- You can also easily add notes & photos from your phone to your computer.
- It supports all common file types, including JPGs, PDFs, Word, Excel, and many more.
- You can share, collaborate and communicate with your team members via comments.
- Quickly invite anyone to view and edit your boards or download a high-quality printable PDF.
- You cannot work offline.
- Limitations in free account.
9. Hemingway Editor
Price: Free (online version) and $19.99 (desktop version).
Available On: Windows and macOS.
Ideal For: Writers who love to deliver readable content to a wide range of audiences.
Hemingway Editor is the best writing and editing tool that any writer can use to make their writing look more bold and clear to the audience.
As it highlights lengthy, complex sentences and common errors in different colors, you can easily make corrections and deliver readable content to your readers.
It also suggests shorter sentences and words that are hard to read and lets you know your readability grade on the screen.
- Grammar check.
- Readability grade.
- Formatting options.
- Import and Export To Microsoft Word.
- Publish directly To WordPress and Medium.
- Improve your writing style.
- No internet connection is required.
- Determine passive voice and adverbs.
- Highlights errors through color-coding.
- Seamlessly format your prose as you want in a single click.
- You cannot save your work in the online version.
Price: $39.99 per annum.
Available On: Mac, iPad, and iPhone.
Ideal For: Writers, authors, novelists, and anyone looking to write creatively without distractions.
Ulysses is one of the best writing tools to write without any interruption.
It helps you organize all your projects like blog posts, articles, and simple notes in one place.
There is a built-in live preview that allows you to know how your output will look.
Using this writing tool, you can write from anywhere and convert it into beautiful PDFs, Word documents, and eBooks, adequately formatted and styled.
- Typewriter mode.
- Themeable editor.
- Plain text enhanced.
- Keyboard navigation.
- Markup-based text editor.
- Auto-save and automatic backup.
- Clean and distraction-free interface.
- Export your writing in various file formats.
- Set your writing goals and track your progress daily.
- Easy to search and find your content according to keywords.
- Write your stories and directly publish them to WordPress and Medium.
- Seamlessly add images, PDFs, notes, keywords, and more to your document.
- It is available only on Apple devices.
Email Marketing Tool For Writers
Besides targeting a wide range of audiences through your website, social media and converting them as your loyal audience, why not try approaching your existing and new audience through email?
Yes, I am talking about email marketing, one of the traditional and effective marketing methods to reach your target audience more effortless than ever.
It gives you a chance to speak directly to them, in their inbox in a very personalized way, at a time that is convenient for them. So, you can build meaningful relationships and retain them forever with you.
But remember, without an efficient tool, you may end up spending a lot of time creating content and sending out emails that don’t generate conversions. Hence, I shared here the best email marketing tool for writers to save time and money.
Price: Free for up to 1000 subscribers, and the Creator plan costs $29 per month.
Available On: Desktop
Ideal For: Bloggers, Writers, Authors, Podcasters, Creators, Freelancers, Coaches, Musicians, and anyone who wants to manage email subscribers.
ConvertKit is one of the fastest-growing email marketing tools that help you create personalized and relevant emails for each recipient.
It also offers customizable sign-up forms and landing pages to help bring in more email subscribers and manage them in one place.
You can even get access to stats like average open rate, average click rate, and total emails sent in one dashboard so that you will come to know how your list is growing and how people interact with the emails you send.
- Advanced reporting.
- Send email broadcasts.
- Automated funnels & sequences.
- Free migration from another tool.
- Unlimited landing pages & forms.
- Easy to use and beginner-friendly.
- Offers an incredible amount of integrations.
- Managing the subscriber’s list is pretty straightforward.
- Creating forms is super simple with an easy-to-use editor.
- Marketing automation is relatively clear to understand and easy to manage.
- Sometimes it doesn’t integrate sign-up forms with WordPress.
Graphic Design Tool For Writers
Adding beautiful images is essential as having stunning content in your book. Without relevant pictures, your book may look boring to your readers.
So, to add some bliss to your reader’s eye. Below is the best graphic design tool you can use to create any fantastic designs for your book cover and eBooks.
Price: Free, and Pro is $120 per annum for one user.
Available On: Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows,
Ideal For: Writers who want to design amazing book or ebook cover.
Canva is the most popular graphic design tool among writers to create eye-catching designs.
With thousands of professionally designed templates, you can create any design you need in a few clicks, like social media posts, infographics, book covers, and more.
You can even customize and share your designs with anyone so that they can collaborate and comment in real-time.
- Drag and drop.
- Add text to photos.
- 100+ design types.
- Add music to the videos.
- 250,000+ free templates.
- Customizable templates.
- Invite members in real-time.
- Autosave your designs.
- It is very easy to use and user-friendly.
- Download your design instantly and publish it on any platform.
- You can even share and give edit access to your team members.
- We can create, crop, flip, animate, and change our design position as we want.
- The free version is limited.
Productivity Tool For Writers
As humans, we get distracted more often by social media, which is a secret weapon to steal the little time we do have for writing.
Hence, to avoid it and focus on writing. Here are the best productivity tools that help you to accomplish your writing goals without any distraction.
Price: $6.99 per month, $29 per annum, and $129 lifetime.
Available On: macOS, Windows, iOS, Android, Chromebook, and Linux.
Ideal For: Writers who want to improve their productivity without any online distractions.
Freedom is the most popular writing tool for writers to increase productivity.
Using this tool, you can choose the distracting apps and websites that you want to block.
You can also select when you want to block and how long you wish to keep it blocked across all devices.
This way, you can stay focused on your writing without distracting pings, notifications, headlines, and emails.
- Locked mode.
- Sync across devices.
- Advance scheduling.
- Block apps, websites, and the internet.
- You can schedule blocks in advance.
- Meet deadlines quickly without any distractions.
- Easy and simple to block the distracting apps and websites.
- You can even block the whole internet to boost productivity.
- It supports all devices such as Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, and Chrome.
- Sometimes the time tracking report can be slow.
Invoicing Tool for Writers
Invoicing is the exciting part of the writer’s life after a lot of struggles. From starting a Writer’s website to marketing and converting clients to making them satisfied. It’s a vast process that finally ends up in sending invoices.
But to make your invoicing process as effective as possible here is the best invoicing tool for writers to get started.
Price: Lite: $4.50 per month, Plus: $7.50 per month, and Premium: $15.00/month.
Available On: Android, iOS, Linux, macOS, and Windows.
Ideal For: Freelancers, Bloggers, Writers, and Entrepreneurs who want to create professional-looking invoices quickly.
Freshbooks is one of the best invoicing tools for writers to create highly professional invoices.
It helps you quickly create and customize your invoice that matches the style and message of your brand.
You can also automatically send late payment reminders, track invoices, and bill late fees to the clients with the Freshbooks invoicing tool.
- Recurring invoices.
- Automatic late fees.
- Payment reminders.
- Accepts credit cards.
- Multi-currency billing.
- Preview before sending.
- Multi-language invoices.
- Track your invoices in real-time.
- Numerous collections of professional-looking templates.
- You can automatically send invoices on a schedule to regular clients.
- Set a due date for your invoices so that your clients will know when you expect payment from them.
- You can set automatic, customizable payment reminders so that you won’t forget to send invoices to your clients.
- Data entry and calculations need to be done manually.
Collaboration Tool For Writers
In today’s remote working environment, collaboration is essential for any professionals to improve productivity and, most importantly, to the writers. It streamlines your writing and editing process and helps your work go more hassle-free.
So, if you are looking for the best collaborative tool to communicate and stay organized with your team of writers in real-time, here is the one for you.
Price: Free, and premium subscription costs $10 per month.
Available On: iOS, Android, and Windows.
Ideal For: Writers who want to help their team members move work forward.
Trello is the best collaboration tool that makes writers better, stronger, more organized, and highly productive.
It allows you to create boards, lists, cards and help you to invite your team members to collaborate on it in real-time.
With Trello, you can even create checklists, set due dates, and add labels, organize tasks, manage projects, and build team spirit all in one place.
- Unlimited cards.
- Advanced checklists.
- Can use unlimited boards.
- You can have unlimited members.
- Automate your most repetitive tasks.
- Seamlessly integrate with 100+ powerful apps.
- Using the drag and drop option, you can add any list onto any board.
- You can easily manage, track, and share your project with teammates in real-time.
- Limited storage.
I have made this list with essential specifications to help you understand each tool better, but remember, if you wish to be a successful writer.
Then beyond delivering top-notch content, you should also be equally adaptable when it comes to social media, marketing, and even design.
I hope these writing tools will be handy in your journey to become an expert writer.
Check out the other article that I’ve written about: Best Writing Apps.